Monday, February 2, 2009

Bush/Kerry Super Bowl

When I turned on the TV last night to watch the Super Bowl, I really did not care who won. However, in the interest of protecting the integrity of competition, I decided to root for the Arizona Cardinals. Spoiler alert. I was a little disappointed that they lost.

I somehow managed to muster up some genuine support for the Cardinals as they held the Steelers to a field goal after Big Ben was ruled down within a foot of the goal line. I also expressed disappointment as Holmes made an excellent catch in triple coverage to score the game-winning touchdown. But at the end of the night, my overall attitude was still apathetic.

As I pounded my brain to think of an insightful post regarding the Super Bowl, my thoughts bounced back to the Presidential election in 2004 between George W. Bush and John Kerry. I, like most Americans, found myself at a fork in the road, and neither path looked inviting. Both sides had valid ideas that I felt would benefit our country, and each man stood for things that I felt were completely absurd. Ultimately, this election was one where many Americans checked the box beside the name associated with "the lesser of two evils" or "_____ isn't as bad as _____."

I picked a favorite team last night in the same way. I am not a Cardinals fan, and I am not a Steelers fan. What is an American male supposed to do when the Super Bowl means absolutely nothing to him? Watch it for the commercials? Yes. But I finally decided that I disliked the Steelers more than I disliked the Cardinals, so I put my checkmark in the box next to the Arizona Cardinals. Things didn't work out, but in the end, it's not a big deal. At least the _____ didn't win (feel free to fill in the blank).

No comments: