Friday, March 6, 2009

Oh, Dear Christian College

Currently, the university that I attend is under the microscope for shady actions by its students and faculty in three different areas. First, a student, who was arrested for the murder of his parents in the fall of 2005, is now on trial for these charges. Second, the NCAA has addressed numerous violations in the track & field and football programs. Third, our student congress president was impeached Wednesday for several integrity violations. This third issue was written up in a local newspaper, and a person on this article online saying, "Why is this even in the paper? Anytime someone at ACU even sneezes, it makes the front page." The reason it makes the front page is because we are called to a higher standard, but we are failing to keep up with what we profess.

The frustrating thing about being associated with a Christian institute is that it seems like someone is always out to find your mistakes, and when these slip-ups are exposed, the whole world knows how we have failed. For years, my university has pledge to be a light to the world around us, but it feels as if that light is beginning to fade - at least the problems we are facing have made me feel this way - and it has made me realize how difficult is it to profess Christianity in a culture that looks for reasons to condemn us we when make the wrong choices.

I know that I will receive my degree from a business college that has excellent accreditation, and I also know that I have grown as a Christian over the four years that I have been here. But as I prepare to graduate from this institution, I am worried that when people hear that I am a graduate from the university that was involved in several scandals, they will hold it against me. Granted, most people are unaware of what has been going on in recent months here, but the fact that I am associated with it still makes me nervous.

Ultimately, the challenge that our university must face everyday is that same challenge that any person that is associated with any given religious, moral, political, or social doctrine must face: how will you remain unwavering in your beliefs despite persecution. I understand that persecution might be a strong word in the case, but its sting presents imagery that we can all associate with. No matter what I profess, there will always be someone who professes opposite ideals. Through this, as Christians and as a university, we must reset the course and conduct ourselves in a manner that is exemplary to others. Everyone fails and is judged for it. Growth and maturity comes by working to get it right again.

No comments: